What is Laser/LANAP®?
Gum disease isn’t widely talked about, but can have a big impact on your life. Patients suffering from gum disease often feel less confident and fear losing their teeth. Our office is certified in a unique laser gum disease treatment, the LANAP® protocol.
The Laser/LANAP protocol is a painless laser-based treatment for gum disease. There is no cutting and sewing with the LANAP protocol. Patients’ typically report almost no discomfort after the procedure, compared to traditional periodontal surgery. This patient friendly procedure helps you get healthy again comfortably, without fear. The LANAP protocol is less invasive than traditional surgery and helps maintain a beautiful smile line. A tiny fiber about the width of three human hairs in inserted between the gum tissue and teeth, where it targets and destroys bacteria deep within the pockets of the gums without affecting healthy tissue.
The LANAP protocol uses the specific wavelength PerioLase® MVP-7™ dental laser to vaporize bacteria deep within the pockets of the gums while leaving healthy tissue intact. Patients undergoing this type of treatment enjoy fast healing times and more predictable results.
Because of the gentle nature of the procedure, patients typically see immediate results with less bleeding when brushing and less bad breath. Of course, your gums need time to recover and heal, but after LANAP® treatment, you can drive your car, go back to work, or do anything else you like.
The LANAP protocol is a patented periodontal treatment, cleared by the FDA in 2004. The procedure can only be done with the PerioLase® MVP-7; this laser operates at a specific wavelength that attacks the bacteria that contributes to gum disease while leaving healthy tissue intact. Post-surgical recession and tooth sensitivity, which can be significant following traditional gum surgery, are also greatly reduced.
- Faster Healing – LANAP® is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
- Less Discomfort – Patients report almost no discomfort following the procedure.
- Minimal Recovery Time – Patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
- Little to No Gum Recession – Because the procedure doesn’t require cutting the gums, there is less risk of recession and your beautiful smile is maintained.
- Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding – The LANAP procedure targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
- Saves Teeth – Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed ‘hopeless’ with traditional treatments. Keeping your natural teeth has been linked to a longer lifespan!
- Safe for patients with Health Concerns – LANAP protocol is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, HIV, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix, Coumadin or aspirin.